[ale] No sound

Keith Hopkins hne at inetnow.net
Tue Dec 4 08:40:21 EST 2001

Cor van Dijk (nav) wrote:

> Hello,
> I had Redhat distro's for several years and they always operated my
> Soundblaster without a problem Now I installed Redhat 7.1 from scratch
> and the sound appears to be broken. Same thing with SuSE7.3, which
> complains that it can not find /dev/dsp. Redhat gives a warning about a
> "magicdev" which does not seem to work; don't know whether or not this
> is related to the soundproblem. I did run "sndconfig" which says that I
> have no card at all! I used sndconfig with several  io, irq and dma, but
> usually I get a hung system,  only a hard reboot will revive it. Things
> like "playcd" seems to work properly, but no sound.
>
> Sound works fine on the winbloze drive in the same machine.  The
> soundblaster card is an ISA card and several years old.  Any idea's?
> Thanks in advance.
> Cor van Dijk

   I think I/we discussed this very thing a few weeks back...time to update the FAQ.  The keyword here is probably ISAPNP.  Do you see your SB card in the output from "pnpdump"?  If so, did you set it up in /etc/isapnp.conf?

   If it is not a PnP card, which drivers are you using?  Kernel, OSS/Free, or ALSA?  Exactly, which SB card is it?

Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith