[ale] Modem & LAN connection in the same box ?

Keith Hopkins hne at inetnow.net
Tue Dec 4 08:26:05 EST 2001

lee wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> It's great to see humor is alive and well on this list,now for something not
> so humorous.
>
> I've got Mandrake 8.1 here with an external modem (using kppp),also with an
> NIC (2 actually,a realtek and a mb integrated one).
>
> Ok..have another box I'd like to use as a proxy with Squid. I have Squid
> configged correctly (I think). Was thinking of using Apache's proxy module
> but that's another question :-)
>
> Problem is this,I can connect using the modem fine. I cannot connect thru the
> proxy. I get a "a timed out error"
>
> Ok,so I've either got Squid mis-configged or there's another issue here. My
> question is this..has anyone here been able to make kppp and a LAN connection
> work on the same box? If so ..how  ?? I guess if I have to do a fresh install
> to make it work I could do that (ugh !! )
>
> Thank you all very much for your time, I really do appreciate it alot  :-)
>
> Lee

Hi Lee,

   Silly questions come to mind:  First, let's call the machine with your modem and lan card, BOX ML.  Let's call the machine with Squid BOX SQ.  I'm assuming you want the proxy for the internet, so... How is BOX SQ connected to the internet?
   I would guess your time-out issue is caused by a bad routing table on BOX ML.  How is routing set on BOX ML?  Do you have kppp set the default route when it connect?  Is this what you really want to do?  How is your routing table set up on BOX SQ?

   I'm guessing your system looks like:

   ph.line-modem-BOX_ML-lan_card---hub/sw---lan_card-BOX_SQ-mystery_connect_to_the_net

   Is that about right?  If not, tell us more about your setup.

Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith