[ale] Routing Questions

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 1 07:09:51 EST 2001

Chris Fowler wrote:

> I have 2 networks now.  One in Buford and One in Alpharetta.
>
> Alpharetta:  192.168.2.0
> Buford:  192.168.1.0
>
> Both networks are connected to the internet using telocity.  I want to be able to route packets between both of the private nets.  Is this possible since these
> are 192.168.*.

You need some form of VPN. Either the PPP-over-SSH sort, or else
IPSec (eg FreeS/WAN). The PPP-over-SSH solution is simple, I've
used it in the past and have achieved fairly good reliability.
It's possible to use a pair of *nix boxen, one on each private
network, to implement this, provided the public routers on each
net can forward SSH connections to machines on the private net
(which is almost certainly the case).

IPsec is probably a better solution, but I have never had the
opportunity to set up an IPsec VPN. When I looked at FreeS/WAN
a year or so ago, it was very rough, and the documentation was
extremely hard to follow. OpenBSD has IPsec in the standard
kernel and toolset, it's well-documented and stable, but I
haven't had a chance to actually use it yet. (I'm using
OpenBSD as my firewall, but don't currently have a VPN
running.)

The O'Reilly VPN book is good, but a bit dated (unless there's
a new edition out). There are a number of books about IPsec
available, which you should probably check out.

Cheers,

-- Joe
# "This torch I bear is scorching me; Buffy's
   laughing, I've no doubt! I hope she fries,
   I'm free if that bitch dies... I'd better
   help her out." -- Spike, OMWF, BtVS