[ale] A snort newbie question

James CE Johnson jcej at tragus.org
Tue Aug 21 18:48:07 EDT 2001

I'm having a bit of trouble configuring snort on my firewall/gateway. At
least, I think I am...

eth0 is my internal interface, eth1 is connected to my cable modem.

In snort.conf I have:
    var HOME_NET 192.168.42.0/24
    var EXTERNAL_NET $eth1_ADDRESS

And I fire up snort thusly:
    snort -Afull -i eth1 -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -D

I then login to a host external to my network and telnet back to my
webserver. When I throw the default.ida yack at it I don't see anything
in my snort logs. The only way I can get anything in the snort logs is
to change both *_NET values to 'any' but then I get alerts about
legitimate traffic I generate inside my network.

Suggestions?