[ale] Conundrum for the day: file resource limit problem

Davis, Ricardo C. RCDavis at intermedia.com
Wed Aug 15 16:07:27 EDT 2001

Fellow ALEers,

I present today's conundrum:  modifying a user's maximum file size limit.

System:  PIII-600 running RH Linux 6.2 (kernel 2.2.19-6.2.1)

I attempted to have the limit set in the account's .bash_profile with the
"ulimit -f 100000" command.  On logging in I get:

   ulimit: cannot raise limit: Operation not permitted

I noticed that this does not happen if I modify the root's .bash_profile.  I
can't figure out how to get around this.  I've scanned RedHat's support area
and it was no help here.

Any ideas?

-Ricardo