[ale] High Availability Linux firewall solution?

Ned Williams nwilliams at interland.net
Tue Aug 7 14:49:34 EDT 2001

Darrell Golliher wrote:

>   I'm familiar with Linux firewalls from home use, but would like to
> learn more about setting up a pair of them with automatic failover.
>
>   Are any of you running HA linux firewalls and if so can you share
> you experiece and perhaps recommend specific documentation?
>
>   Basically, I'm suffering from sticker shock on upgrading checkpoint
> to do HA and am exploring Linux as an alternative.  I want very much
> though to avoid having a single point of failure.
>
>   Any information welcome. :)
>
> tia,
> Darrell Golliher
> body.Da

Darrell,

Normally I would recommend a Foundry Server Iron to handle the load balancing for
an HA enviorment but since your worried about cost then perhaps straight failover
is better suited for you. Perhaps you should set your firewalls up using the old
Vinca model.

add a 3rd interface to each one, attach a Xover a cable between the third
interface on each and set up crons on the slave designated server to ping the
Primary, if the primary fails, issue scripts to change the ip address of the
slave servers primary and secondary interfaces to those of the primary then via a
ssh'd command over the third interface change the ips of the original primary to
slave's orignal ips.

Ned