[ale] prompt

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Fri Apr 20 21:51:40 EDT 2001

Jeff T wrote:

> Got a quesstion that is proably trivial but I can't think of a way
> to do get it quite right.
>
> I need to set my shell prompt to show minutes and seconds.  It doesn't
> need to be a running time but it does need to update when the prompt
> is rewritten.  I have the minutes and seconds in the prompt currently
> but it doesn't change.  I know I can write aliases for commands to
> the "setprompt" but then I would have to aliases all commands.
>
> Is there a way to accomplish this?  alias the return key or something?

There's a rather complex example in the old Korn shell book that does
this.  I've got the book, but it's been packed since I'm in the process
of moving.  If you don't get an answer from someone else, drop me a line
in a week or so and I'll dig it out.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein