[ale] XDM

Ken Nagorski kenn at pcintelligent.com
Thu Apr 19 23:25:26 EDT 2001

Hi there,

	I am trying to set up XDM on an Oracle server. (Did I mention the
installation is lame) Regardless. I am not using th display on the
server, fact it's at a data center somewhere. I want to get a XDM login
(chooser) on my machine running Exceed. I can export the Display and start
like Xman or somehting, I even did the Oracle install however I would like
to get it set up so that XDM does not start the chooser on the local
machine and starts up on my machine running Exceed.

	I commented out the line that read :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X and
added a line that read laptop:0 foreign to the Xservers file, laptop of
course is in the /etc/hosts file. Now when from the command line I type
xdm I see it is running with ps aux | grep xdm but I don't get a login.

	Anyone with some X experience got any hints for me. I mean it
seems so totally easy, there isn't there.

Thank you
Ken

--
 I couldn't quite remember what I was going to say
           so I causally tip another sip of whatever it was I was drinking,