[ale] A little gripe

James Kinney jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Apr 19 22:38:11 EDT 2001

> How many remember acoustic couplers at 150 baud?

I have a 1984 NEC Starlett. It came with a builtin 300B modem, no floppy,
32k RAM, all software in ROM. It has wordstar, a small database, a
communication program and a simple spreadsheet. A 25x16 LCD monitor and a
rather nice keyboard rounded out the package. It runs on 4 "C" batteries
and even supports "suspend and resume". This makes for a great museum
piece. It uses CP/M for the OS.

Oh, yeah, it still works just fine. I used it once to rescue an early
linux machine (before my network) by plugging into the serial line,
establishing a shell and kill -9 the #@$% crap code I wrote that locked
out the keyboard. It gave new meaning to "term" paper!