[ale] new newbie

Stephen Pellicer spellicer at 8thlayer.net
Thu Apr 19 17:43:15 EDT 2001

On 19 Apr 2001 17:22:11 -0400, Hotchkiss, Jeff wrote:
> every time I reboot Red Hat I have to
> mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
> is there anyway to automate this when I startup
I wouldn't recommend removing noauto from your /etc/fstab, because I
think it would hang if you don't have a cdrom in the drive during init.
You could lookinto the automounter package, but that might be more
trouble than it's worth. Finally, a lot of the desktop environments have
automatic cdmounters if they find a cd in the drive. Nautilus and KDE
have them. I'm not sure what command you would use, but you could also
check if a cd is in the drive and then run mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom in
your rc.local as the last step in your boot.

Someone else on the list might have a more straightforward answer.

Stephen

PS: it's about time you joined the ale list Jeff.