[ale] Upgrading Redhat

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Apr 13 16:25:08 EDT 2001

> I upgraded three machines from 6.2 when RedHat 7.0 first came out...and have been
> applying patches to them at least weekly. Perfect automated upgrade path (except
> for a few very minor gotchas) and an almost 100% perfect patching experience via
> the RedHat-Update script. Based upon the number of security patches I would
> run...not walk...to upgrade.

Do you mean that RedHat 6.2 has more security patches than RedHat 7? I was
under the impression that RedHat released the same patches for both systems
if they existed on both systems and that RH7 was not more secure than 6.2.

I'm still running 6.2 in various incarnations on most of my systems and I use
red-carpet to keep them up to date on patches. I haven't noticed any glaring
errors yet.

Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu) http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/
        "Anything worth fighting over is worth fighting dirty over"