[ale] Setting the date/time

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Apr 4 08:58:05 EDT 2001

> Ok, here is your laughter for today. What is the proper syntax for setting
> the date and time? I've read the man pages, etc. and nothing seems to
> work. We just switched to daylight savings time, and for some reason my
> server didn't follow. I just realized it today. :< Anyway, the man page
> says to issue a "date --set=MMDDhhmm" so, wouldn't that be something like
> "date --set=04040808" for April 4 at 8:08am ?? I've tried adding the
> century on the end, etc, nothing works. Why is setting the time so hard?

The --set is unnecessary. Simply 'date MMDDhhmm' is sufficient.
Usually I just run the netdate command pointing to a server with reliable time.
rdate has similar funtionality.

Lastly be aware that you'll probably need to reset the hardware clock for the
machine so that the server will keep correct time if reset. Check out the
'clock' command for details.

BAJ