Multi-drop PPPoE (Re: [ale] Mindspring/Earthlink DSL and linux?)

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Tue Sep 5 14:48:18 EDT 2000

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Joe Knapka wrote:

> Thompson Freeman wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Wandered Inn wrote:
> >
> > > Thompson Freeman wrote:
<<snip>>
> > On that level, I wonder how many ISP's offer a security scanning service
> > to their customers? Even as an extra charge?
> >

> FWIW, there are sites like Gibson Research that offer some
> minimal security scanning for free.
>
> http://www.grc.com
> http://www.sdesign.com
> http://www.hackerwhacker.com
>
> On home nets, usually the right thing is to simply refuse
> all external requests for service, and the sites above
> can tell you if you're offering services you don't intend.
> If you do need to offer services externally, securing those
> services is much more involved, and the port-scan sites
> aren't going to help you with that.
<<snip>>

Which is the point of the comment/question, I think. Some of us
need to leave services running from home for one reason or 'tother,
and we need some help making sure we haven't left something horrid
open to the world. Or possibly just as bad, that we are correctly
configured and are not spewing random anoyance packets all over the
place.

(FWIW - I've been to the Gibson Research site, been scanned a while back,
and still don't really have a warm fuzzy feeling about my setup.)

The harder I work, the luckier I get.
                    Lee Iocca
Thompson Freeman          tfreeman at digichem.net