[ale] Home Network

Armsby John-G16665 John.Armsby at motorola.com
Tue Sep 5 14:48:15 EDT 2000

I have been contemplating setting up a home network.  I am not too happy
about running Ethernet so I thought I would do some homework on the use of
PCI cards which utilize existing phone lines.  My research tells me I might
get up to 10 mbs(?) in speed (I can accept that.) but will be limited to
Windows 98, NT, and Mac.  I don't see where my Linux/Win98 machine has a
chance with Linux.  The sparc 10 I want to bring home does not have a
chance.  Is stringing the wire, plugging in the NICs,  and setting up a hub
my only option?  Wireless is not cheap.  I don't want to go there.

John