[ale] Next Generation Linux Machine

Dunlap, Randy randy.dunlap at intel.com
Tue Sep 5 13:59:29 EDT 2000

Hi V,

> Hello folks,
>
> Recently, Myself and a a colleague of mine came to the harsh
> realization that
> newer machines are coming with no ISA slots and some with no
> serial or parallel
> ports. Although Linux will boot and run on these machines
> fine as servers, this
> presents a problem when doing desktop environments because
> the pci world is a
> bit different than the ISA world in the case of modems and
> sound cards.

Yep, things are a-changin.  And good, valid questions too.
I'll only give you answers on USB.

Better to ask at http://www.linmodems.org/ IMO.

> Also, what is the status of USB support for keyboards, mice
> and printers in the
> 2.2 series of kernels?  Is it still a backport that you have
> to add yourself or
> is it officially integrated in now? I'd love to start using
> USB devices for
> their physical ease of use but have no luck so far.

Alan Cox mentioned just a few days ago on the linux-usb-devel
mailing list that he was planning to add USB to 2.2.18pre2
since several distributions are already including the USB
backport patch (RH 6.9.5 beta, SuSE, Corel, Mandrake, Connectiva,
maybe a few more; not Debian).

Keyboards, mice, printers work fine.  Some other devices
are still just "somewhat" working.

<quote from
http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/2571/25/4279764/:>
FROM: Alan Cox
DATE: 09/01/2000 13:28:33
SUBJECT:  [linux-usb-devel] Linux 2.2.18pre2

I`ve merged the backport-3 with various other fixes into 2.2.18pre2. It
seems
to be the right thing to do. Most vendors ship them, they are getting mostly
useful.

Alan

</quote>

> thanks for any help you folks can give.