Multi-drop PPPoE (Re: [ale] Mindspring/Earthlink DSL and linux?)

Joe Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 5 13:38:35 EDT 2000

Thompson Freeman wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Wandered Inn wrote:
>
> > Thompson Freeman wrote:
> > >
> of a mature technical system. I'd hesitate to call the firewall of a small
> SOHO style network part of a mature technical system at this time. And
> _nobody_ is testing the setup you put in place for you, so the point about
> testing is still valid.
>
> On that level, I wonder how many ISP's offer a security scanning service
> to their customers? Even as an extra charge?

FWIW, there are sites like Gibson Research that offer some
minimal security scanning for free.

http://www.grc.com
http://www.sdesign.com
http://www.hackerwhacker.com

On home nets, usually the right thing is to simply refuse
all external requests for service, and the sites above
can tell you if you're offering services you don't intend.
If you do need to offer services externally, securing those
services is much more involved, and the port-scan sites
aren't going to help you with that.

-- Joe

--
*** Joseph Knapka ***
In any formula, constants (especially those obtained from handbooks)