[ale] Printing Problems RH6.1

Speakeasy ericbru at speakeasy.org
Mon Sep 4 14:02:04 EDT 2000

I am trying to set up a machine using RH6.1.  But so far I have been unable
to get anything to print.  I have used printtool to define different
printers on different devices.  But each time I try to add a printer I get
the following error:

/dev/lp0 : Not Detected
/dev/lp1 : Not Detected
/dev/lp2 : Not Detected

The error also says sometime else that this might be a hardware problem.

When I try to do a simple print from the linux box I get this:
     [root at mainserv /root]# ls | lpr -Plp0
     lpr: connect: Connection refused
     jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

Since I don't know how to check for running daemons.  And I remember
defining most everything to load as a module, so I tried this:
     [root at mainserv /root]# lsmod
     Module                  Size  Used by
     ip_masq_vdolive         1104   0  (unused)
     ip_masq_cuseeme          816   0  (unused)
     ip_masq_irc             1328   0  (unused)
     ip_masq_raudio          2672   0  (unused)
     ip_masq_ftp             3920   0  (unused)
     parport_probe           2980   0  (autoclean) (unused)
     lp                      5052   0  (autoclean) (unused)
     parport                 7060   0  (autoclean) [parport_probe lp]
     tulip0                 24740   2  (autoclean)
     advansys               79104   2

This seems to make reference to the lp module that I think I neeed for
printing.

The last thing I checked was dmesg:
     tulip.c:v0.89H 5/23/98 becker at cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
     eth0: Lite-On 82c168 PNIC at 0x6000, 00 a0 cc 5f a1 45, IRQ 11.
     eth0:  MII transceiver found at MDIO address 1, config 3000 status
782d.
     eth0:  Advertising 01e1 on PHY 1, previously advertising 01e1.
     eth1: Lite-On 82c168 PNIC at 0x6100, 00 a0 cc 65 21 5d, IRQ 10.
     eth1:  MII transceiver found at MDIO address 1, config 3000 status
782d.
     eth1:  Advertising 01e1 on PHY 1, previously advertising 01e1.
     eth0: Changing PNIC configuration to half-duplex, CSR6 816e0000.
     eth1: Changing PNIC configuration to half-duplex, CSR6 816e0000.
     lp: driver loaded but no devices found

Notice the last line - no devices found

I have check the bios and have turned off all automatic ( PCI ) detection.
I have even disabled the motherboard printer ports and installed a printer
card.  Noting seems to work.  I still consider myself a newbie at most of
this, so at this point I am not sure what else to do.