[ale] lilo virus :-)

Frank Zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Sun Sep 3 11:10:23 EDT 2000

Interesting. Okay, by "... anti virus program kicked in from the
motherboard...", are you referring to a BIOS MBR antivirus 'scanner', one of
those useless cheesy mini-pgms loaded from CMOS? If so, you should be able
to disable that entrirely (and you should, those things are essentially
useless, and will often if not always interprete LILO as a mbr virus as
well).

Yet, you say you can't? Strange, what kind of motherboard and PC is it? Is
it Win and Linux dual-boot? Did the drivers CDROM also have one of those
dumb minimal AV pgms, too? (like PC-penicillin, or something like that). If
so, that might be the culprit, can you get rid of that?

Yet, you say your original Linux boots fine, but the other(s) don't? Per
chance, is it an innoculation kind of AV pgm, that perhaps tagged the
original load as safe? If so, your new Linux load, without telling the
scanner, would of course then be seen as tampered with -- i.e. a 'virus'.
Might be using a simple checksum algorythm (dumb, useless freebie pgms).

If none of this is even close, post more info pls. (Yet somehow I smell MS
here... :-)

-fgz