[ale] Daylight savings

Bob Kruger krugerb at benning.army.mil
Tue Oct 31 09:58:23 EST 2000

"Silberman, Malcolm (BHR)" wrote:

> I am trying to understand the how and why of Linux, timezones and daylight
> savings. This is for Red-Hat/Mandrax in particular. I noticed yesterday that
> my one Linux box did not update automatically, and was an hour ahead. How do
> I get Linux to update correctly and automatically, and second I have read
> about rdate and other such utilities, how do they work and what is
> recommended. (where do I find a server to obtain the time from).

Malcom;

Time Zones:

I've handled this two ways.  The first is to set the server itself for
your current time zone.  In one of your startup files, insert the
following line:

EXPORT TZ=EST5EDT

The other way is to set your server to reflect universal standard time,
but for each user, have in their .config file EXPORT TZ=EST5EDT.

I normally use the latter.  Keeps things straight 24/7.

Time Servers:

Download the xntpd package.  As you are using Redhat, this should be
fairly easy in that it is a prebuilt RPM.  I normally run Slackware, so
I end up compiling.  Either way is not a problem.  In the archive is a
listing of first and second stratum time servers that you can synch
from.  I normally use a second stratum server with fine results.

Let me know if you need some additional assistance.

Regards - Bob Kruger