[ale] RedHat 7.0

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sun Oct 22 22:42:00 EDT 2000

Sorry to butt in so late, and I _hope_ my opinion doesn't feel like
anything associated with holy wars (or conflict of any type for that
matter).

I _think_ I've heard part of the reason RH has 5.0 and 7.0 type releases -
although please don't take any part seriously. (I seem to recall that the
3.0 release was similar also). Basically, various portions of these
releases (such as libraries or compilers) are in transition phases, and RH
elected to push the envelope with the intention of encouraging/forcing
quicker general adoption of the newer materials. I'd rather not bother
discussing the wisdom of doing so, as I have fallen on some sharp pointy
objects as a result of the choice, but I can appreciate that the choice
can be made. _Somebody_ gets to be out in front collecting arrows from all
directions, if there is to be any evolutionary change at all. I guess that
the trick is to not be in front while you are trying to get seasoned?

Oh well. Thanks to one and all for letting me rant.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.
                    Lee Iacocca
Thompson Freeman          tfreeman at intel.digichem.net