[ale] Looking For Constructive Help

Chris Woodruff cwoodruff at worldwindtech.com
Wed Oct 18 08:24:52 EDT 2000

I would recommend a 3Dfx or Matrox G400 video card since there are great
drivers for linux available.  I have a TNT2 card which I like but Nvidia
doesn't seem to get the idea of having open sourced drivers yet.

You are going to need more RAM if you want to run vmware.  I have heard
that 128M just for vmware is the minimum.  So get as much as you can
afford.

DO NOT install RH 7.0!!  I had it and had problems. I reinstalled 6.2
and my system is noticeably faster than when I was running 7.0.  There
are things that RH needs to fix.  I also had issues with compiling the
kernel.    You can still find 6.2 so get that.  I would also recommend
Mandrake or Debian distros.

Here are some good links for the newbie --

www.linux.com
www.linux.org
www.linuxnewbie.org
www.linuxtoday.com

If you have questions use this list.  Everyone here helps and will give
good advice.

Chris Woodruff