[ale] Roaring Penguin PPPoE and 2.4 kernels?

Eric Z. Ayers eric.ayers at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 16 20:42:48 EDT 2000

The fellow that wrote roaring penguin (David Skoll) was at ALS this
week and gave a presentation.  I spoke with him a bit after the talk.
He's a very nice fellow.

I just checked the web page: http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/ and
it doesn't address 2.4 compatibility.  Since I am not a DSL user, I'll
have to speculate on this, but he explained that since rp-pppoe is a
userspace implementation, that kernel changes shouldn't really affect
it much.  Basically, the pppoe daemon is stripping out some of the
character escaping and framing that pppd puts in, and then wrapping
each frame in an ethernet  packet.  It uses a raw socket to put stuff
too and fro on the network,  so if there is a change to that
interface, it might break the userspace implementation, but they
wouldn't do that, now would they?  He also mentioned some other little
nasties that the daemon had to do - mostly to deal with buggy
routers.

However, he did say during his talk that the 2.4 series of kernels
includes a pppoe driver in the kernel, which should be more
efficient... eliminating buffer copies and packing and unpacking the
same stuff.

-Eric.