[ale] AT&T Broadbrand and Linux

Joe Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 8 12:33:43 EDT 2000

Joe Knapka wrote:

> Chris Egolf wrote:
> >

> > Recently however, everytime I've had to reboot, my IP # has changed.
> > Others I know have had the same problem.  Since I need to access my
> > machine remotely, I've stopped doing this -- no more kernel upgrades I
> > guess.  My understanding w/ DHCP is that you are supposed to get the
> > same IP again if it's still available.  I find it hard to believe that
>
> Only if the lease hasn't expired. Maybe they've changed their server
> to allow very short lease times.

Sorry, that didn't make any sense. You're right, you should get the
same address if it's not in use, regardless of the lease time. But a
short lease time would increase the likelyhood that your address is
handed over to someone else while your machine is down.

--
*** Joseph Knapka ***
In any formula, constants (especially those obtained from handbooks)