[ale] AT&T Broadbrand and Linux

Joe Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 8 12:31:45 EDT 2000

Chris Egolf wrote:

> Recently however, everytime I've had to reboot, my IP # has changed.
> Others I know have had the same problem.  Since I need to access my
> machine remotely, I've stopped doing this -- no more kernel upgrades I
> guess.  My understanding w/ DHCP is that you are supposed to get the
> same IP again if it's still available.  I find it hard to believe that

Only if the lease hasn't expired. Maybe they've changed their server
to allow very short lease times.

> when my IP address is released during a reboot that it's distributed to
> someone else in that short amount of time.  Has anyone else experienced
> this or have an explanation?
>
> Slightly OT, with this problem, I've been wondering about using some
> sort of dynamic DNS service.  I've seen various different ones -- some
> free, others that were fee based.  Has anyone on the list had good luck
> using any of these?

I used to use justlinux.com for Dynamic DNS (you get a
*.penguinpowered.com
DNS name), but they no longer supply a client to automate address
updates -
you have to go to their web site to set your IP or else write
a script yourself that surfs to the right page and changes your address.
I've switched to yi.com and have not had any trouble so far, but then
I rarely try to reach my home LAN from outside.

-- Joe

*** Joseph Knapka ***
In any formula, constants (especially those obtained from handbooks)
are to be treated as variables.