[ale] 'Nother Question: Starting 'eth0' Automagically

Scott Nolde smnoldelinux at mediaone.net
Wed Nov 29 14:50:47 EST 2000

somewhere in /etc/rc.d/init.d/network (or the service which starts your
network services, add the line 'insmod pci-scan'.  After that, any
attempts to initialize the eth0 interface should succeed.

Or, I belive /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit looks for an rc.modules:
# Load modules (for backward compatibility with VARs)
if [ -f /etc/rc.d/rc.modules ]; then
        /etc/rc.d/rc.modules
fi

So you could conceivably make the entire rc.modules an executable script
with only the line 'insmod pci-scan' in it.  Later, the networking
services will initialize the interfaces.

- Scott

jmmills at avana.net wrote:

> Hello, ALErs -
>
> Thanks to advice here (esp. Jim Philips), I can now
> start up 'eth0' through my LinkSys/tulip NIC using a new
> version of 'tulip.c' and also 'pci-scan.c'. Dependencies
> of 'tulip.o' on 'pci-scan.o' seem properly reflected in
> 'modules.dep', both objects built fine and are now in
> /lib/modules-<ver>/net/, and I appear to have a viable
> interface description set up through RH6.2's
> 'control-panel' and 'linuxconf'. Happy 'pings' and
> Netscraping are now possible (but mail is still balky).
>
> _However_ I must start the interface manually, e.g.:
> 1) # insmod /<dah-dah>/pri-scan
> 2) # insmod /<dah-dah>/tulip
> 3) select and activate 'eth0' with 'control-panel'
>
> How can I get this to work properly at boot? I think
> from init messages that 'pri-scan' is not inserted
> automagically, thus 'tulip' fails to load. I know 'eth0'
> initialization reports as 'FAILED'.
>
> (I expect the long-term answer is to replace all module
> sources from RH6.2 with my more recent set from
> <http://www.scyld.com>, instead of my by-hand
> installation of two the two new objects; I will do this
> when I step forward to a newer kernel rev, soon.)

Replacing the tulip modules with the newer ones will work.

> _Aside_: I find in RH6.2 that 'dmesg' essentially
> returns a trash listing of supposed disk changes, and
> the real messages end up in '/var/log/messages' - is
> there a way to make 'dmesg' useful again?
>
> Thanks for the help to date, and in advance for
> suggestions on cleaning this up.
>
> Regards
>  - John Mills

Never do Windows again with  |  Scott M. Nolde
Linux!  No streaks, haze or  |  smnoldelinux at mediaone.net
glaze!                       |
2:40pm up 15:25, 1 user, load average: 1.24, 1.13, 1.04