[ale] Install Fest

Blake Sorensen librarian at unseen.net
Wed Nov 29 08:18:31 EST 2000

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 04:16:17PM -0500, Wandered Inn wrote:
> Chris Woodruff wrote:
> >
> > A Linux Installfest is an event where people can bring their computers to have Linux installed by those who are familiar doing Linux installations and configurations.
> >
> > Now in this day and age when installing Linux is much easier than just 2 years ago,
>
> This comment just prompted a twisted suggestion in my equally twisted
> head.  How about a contest to see who can do the fastest install??
> Maybe it can be called, "the quickest fix for Windows NT|2000|9[58]."
>
> Obviously, you'd have to come up with some requirements, otherwise
> everyone would choose the "I know nothing about Linux, install it for
> me" option.

I like it...maybe have an odd piece of hardware that requires the installer to
build a custom kernel. I've noticed the kernel sources aren't always installed
on the I know nothing option. You could still use the install everything choice,
but someone who has their package selection down could easily beat that by
installing just what they need.

--
Blake Sorensen
Pharsalia Technologies