[ale] Cable Modem

Jennifer Taylor JMTaylor at chathamcounty.org
Wed Nov 22 09:17:18 EST 2000

John,

You're going to have to use some sort of IP masquerading to have a static IP with the @home folks.  From personal (painful) recent experience, I would strongly suggest putting up a separate firewall that does nothing but packet filtering and IP masquerading.  Your firewall should have 2 interfaces: an external NIC that is set up to recieve DHCP'd IP from @home and forward all outbound packets thru, and an internal NIC that
can only talk to your inside addresses.
If you choose to buy like a LinkSys hub/firewall all that's pretty much done for you.  If you go with an old PC (a 486 will do just fine) then read the IPChains and IPMasq HOWTO on the linuxdoc.org site.  It's very thorough and I found it easy to follow.

Then you tell the firewall to masq any IP's coming from your internal range as your external IP address, so that you can network any number of statically addressed machines to use your cable modem.  Added feature: instant intranet. :)  Your machine will need to know your @home DNS, and it will use the firewall for the gateway.

Good luck

jenn

<<< "John R. Allgood - Systems Administrator" <john at turbocorp.com> 11/22  7:56a >>>
Hello ALE

 Does anyone know how to set up Linux 6.2 using a cable modem with a
static IP. I have tried using netcfg to set this up. I have entered in
my assigned IP, DNS Servers, Hostname, Domainname and default gateway. I
know my network card is working. My Cable Modem provider is Charter
@Home. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
--
John R. Allgood - Sys Admin.