[ale] USB problems

Dunlap, Randy randy.dunlap at intel.com
Wed Nov 8 11:10:18 EST 2000

Hi,

> From: Stephen Pellicer [mailto:spellicer at 8thlayer.net]
>
> This one isn't exclusively a Linux problem, but I thought I'd take
> advantage of all the big craniums out there in the Linux community :)
> I'm running 2.4.0-test10 (the problems occur in any kernel though,
> also USB has been acting funny when I ran windows on this box too). I

That's a good hint [that your system has problems with Windows
and USB also].  2.4.0-test10 works well for me, but I'm
not using an MS Natural kbd or an ibmcam.  I do use about
25 other devices though, but not all at the same time.

> normally run my Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro as a USB keyboard, it
> has a built in two port USB hub. I also have a USB mouse that I plug
> into the keyboard hub. This works fine and leaves me with one low
> powered port in the keyboard and one full blown USB port in my
> machine. However, this never really works out. Every time I try to use
> any ports, my machine usually locks up or acts strangely. I've been
> unsuccessful making my Rio 500 work and my IBM USB webcam when the
> keyboard is plugged in via USB. I've unplugged the keyboard as USB and
> used it as PS/2 and everything I plug into the USB ports seem to work.
> Is it possible that the USB HUB/keyboard combination is screwing up
> the completely unrelated USB port in my machine?

It's not likely, but it may depend on how the hub/kbd are
designed (logically).  My Cherry kbd/hub works well.  It
actually looks to the host system like a hub with 5 ports,
with one of those 5 ports being permanently attached to a kbd.
At the USB PlugFest last August, I saw a keyboard (not MS)
with 2 USB ports, but it was built strangely, so that there
was no hub visible to the host system software at all.
But it still worked with Linux-USB.

> In looking for an answer, I ran accross a Microsoft Knowlege base
> article talking about the ASUS P2B-F motherboard (which I'm running)
> having a resitor that drops the power levels in the USB lines too low.
> So is it just coincidence that it's my keyboard killing it? Is it just
> that it happens to be a high powered device that's sucking up all the
> juice? The syslogs from my Rio would support this because it keeps
> trying to talk to the Rio but never gets in touch. I don't know how it
> relates to my webcam which just hoses up the video and locks me up.

The FAQ at www.linux-usb.org says that Asus P2B-DS and P2B-D
mobos have a design flaw related to a voltage problem.
See http://www.linux-usb.org/FAQ.html#sh2 .  That section
also points to an ASUS web site for a hardware solution,
but that URL isn't working now.

You could search at www.asus.com.tw to see if they have
any more info on it -- but I didn't find it.  Or you could
ask on the Linux-USB mailing list about it.  See
www.linux-usb.org/mailing.html for info on that.

> _Any_ tips or directions would be appreciated. (Any except trash my
> hardware and get some new stuff :) I actually like the keyboard so
> I'd like to keep it. I also would like to use it USB with its two
> ports. It's one of the main reasons I got it. I can get at the mouse
> easily and experiment with my Rainbow iKey on it. I don't mind getting
> a USB hub for the other port, but I'm not sure that would completely
> solve the problem because the other port doesn't seem to work when the
> keyboard is plugged in.

I don't think the kbd is the problem.  Indications point to
your mobo, but you don't want to hear that.  :(

> Stephen
> --

~Randy