[ale] Optimal Name Resolution Setup in Mixed Environment

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Wed Nov 8 09:43:45 EST 2000

Can anyone wax knowledgeable on what the preferred arrangement is w.r.t.
WINS/DNS in a mixed Windows/Linux environment?

My workplace LAN is overwhelmingly Windows, and there are multiple WINS
servers and one DNS server.  DHCP is used for desktops and laptops.  As far
as I know, no effort is being made to put fixed-IP Linux systems in the DNS.
The Windows clients point to both the DNS and the nearest WINS server.  What
I would like to have happen is for Windows and Linux (and anything else we
might bring in) to have as even a footing as possible, for both fixed-IP
servers and DHCP-client desktops.  Samba is one key feature that I want to
be able to utilize universally in the environment

Is it possible/preferable to lead a WINS-less existence in such an
environment?

- Jeff