[ale] Us Old Fossils :)

Danny Cox danny at compgen.com
Thu Jun 29 07:42:48 EDT 2000

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Eric Z. Ayers wrote:

> No, no, that couldn't be it.  Danny was in the FIRST class to use
> punch cards.  Right after they invented paper.
>
> -Eric.

	Thanks Eric.  Yeah, the paper thing was certainly bleeding edge
technology.  "Papyrus", I think it was called at the time.  Heck, it
sure beat the stew out of scratching on uncured pottery!

	Now, if Cheops would just get off his butt, and finish his
water calculator, we'd have a *real* edge over those pesky Mongol
Hordes.

	Are we sufficiently off topic now?

	In what must seem a several light-year segue, I'll note that I
finally have my system producing sound!  You may recall that I asked
this group about experiences with the Creative Labs Ensoniq PCI card
which would play for a time, but then always hang the system.

	Atipa sent me another card; same result.  They then sent me a
SoundBlaster Live!, and it's now working like a charm.  The rumor is
that certain Tyan mobos and the Ensoniq PCI cards don't mix.

	If yer in the market for a new computer, I'd recommend Atipa.
Their customer support has been outstanding!

	The upshot of this is that now, I can hear critters sneaking up
behind me in Quake III ;-)

Danny