[ale] PC Power Problems

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Fri Jul 28 11:28:43 EDT 2000

assume that you are turning the machines off during the
night.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Try
this (you can try this on just one machine):
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>1.  Turn the machines off in the usual manner.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>2.  Disconnect the power cords from the machines for a little while
(I assume that the power cord is live at this point, still
attached).
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>3.  Plug the machines' power cords back in.

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Do the
machines boot?  If so, then it's likely that your UPS is not entirely U
after all.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
If the
machines don't boot when you try this experiment (my new machine will power on
for maybe one sec and then go into "soft-off" - don't ask me what the opposite
is!) then try letting them sit off overnight with their Ethernet cables
disconnected.  If the problem goes away, then maybe Wake-On-LAN isn't as
disabled as you'd think.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
-
Jeff
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Michael Curtis
  [mailto:michael at servicecpa.com]Sent: Friday, July 28, 2000 9:32
  AMTo: ALESubject: [ale] PC Power
  Problems
  I have 3 pcs that are all on 600VA UPS.  Now the
  problem, they seem to turn themselfs on in the middle of the night.  I
  have Wake on lan turned off.  Two of them are Linux and one is Windows
  98.  Does anybody have any ideas as to what this could be?

  Thanks,
  Michael