[ale] rescue disk?

joshy joshy at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 28 10:42:33 EDT 2000

this is a rather embarassing question...

I need to build a rescue disk for a RedHat 6.1 (Cartman) computer.  I
couldn't find a rescue.img in the 6.1 distribution so I downloaded
rescue.img from a 5.2 distribution and put it on a floppy using rawrite,
but the 5.2 install disk said it couldn't find a valid rescue.img on the
floppy.

You see, I got a new 60GB harddrive and my BIOS can't read it. I tried
Maxtor's MaxBlast software to trick the computer into reading more than
32GB, but it blew away lilo, and I, um, neglected to create a custom
rescue disk earlier. (i'll take my lashings now, thank you).  All I need
to do is to boot Linux so that I can reinstall lilo.

Of course, this won't help the bigger issue of getting Linux to see the
full 60GB drive. My BIOS hangs when I boot the drive in a normal
configuration and if I set the "limit cylinders" jumper it only sees a
32GB drive. any ideas? is my only choice to get a new motherboard that can
handle large drives?

thanks,
- joshy

--