[ale] RoadRunner

Jennifer Taylor JMTaylor at wpo.co.chatham.ga.us
Tue Jul 25 20:18:40 EDT 2000

** Low Priority **

I use @home in the Savannah area, and as far as their user agreement is concerned they do state specifically that you are not allowed to run web or other services from your connection to them (if you have residential service...no commercial available here yet).  I have not tried to set up a web server, since my IP does actually change on a regular basis.  So far I've been very pleased with speed and connection with @home, but since I live in the sticks I can't speak for the service in a tech-heavy area like Atlanta.

What do you cable modem users do about security?  I have a linux box acting as my firewall/IPmasq server that's connected to the cable modem, and all I did was the minimum to get the masquerading working.  I have about 6 machines of various OS's on my internal network that are using the linux box as a gateway (technically against the rules of @home as well).  Any security concerns / suggestions with  a setup like this?

jenn

>>> Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com> 07/25 7:59 PM >>>

On a side note, AT&T, having recently purchased MediaOne, will be
switching RR customers over to @Home begining sometime around Jan 1,
2001.  I don't know firsthand, but I have heard that @Home is a much
more restrictive network.

-Jim P.