[ale] Please help me give away PCs.

Robert Butera rbutera at ece.gatech.edu
Thu Jul 20 17:50:40 EDT 2000

>  I suppose a few people are skeptical about what possible good a bunch
> of old 486s can do in a classroom, but I think that we've been pretty
> careful about engineering the plan to account for *exceptionally* thin
> clients, and kept in mind that a computer in a classroom shouldn't just
> be a tool to get kids out of the instructor's hair, but provide some
> real value in terms of learning.

Back when I lived in Washington DC, there was a high school in Montgomery
County, MD (rather well-off suburb) that succeeded in getting Linux into one
high school, largely through the efforts of a particularly resourceful
student who was quite Linux literate and a member of DCLUG. I think that is
the _trick_ for getting Linux accepted -- some in-house expertise.

He wrote an article about in in the Linux Journal no too long ago.  Here
is the URL:

http://noframes.linuxjournal.com/lj-issues/issue59/3131.html

Robert Butera, Assistant Professor
Institute for Bioengineering and Biosciences
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, 30332-0363 USA
--> http://www.ece.gatech.edu/users/rbutera/