[ale] Apache Issues

Randy Janinda randy.janinda at ndcorp.com
Thu Jul 20 11:35:56 EDT 2000

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 09:58:10AM -0400, Veritus Silverun decided:
> I recently loaded Linux-Mandrake 7.1 on my server and am having issues
> getting apache running on it propperly.  Please note I am definately less
> that consumate when it comes to me linux knowledge.  I'm starting httpd
> with the following command line:
> httpd -d /etc/httpd
> since it seems mandrake decided the serverroot needs to be there
> rather than /usr/local/apache
> In any case I only get Access Forbidden pages whenever I try to access
> anything on it.  If anyone has any ideas, or even just tips of where to
> start looking, i'd greatly appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason Beeland

Well, the Access Forbidden means Apache is running, so it is a good
thing. You may want to check in httpd.conf or srm.conf to see where
DocumentRoot is set (i.e /home/httpd/html). Then check the permissions
on that directory and the files it conatins. They should be set to
read access by everyone (this allow the webserver user 'nobody' to
read them). If this still doesn't work, check to see if there is an
index.htm (or whatever) located in the directory. If not, there may be
a directive (httpd.conf or srm.conf) that states "Options -Indexes"
that is preventing an automatic index from being created.

My 2 cents,

Randy