[ale] OT: MD5 checksums & math

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at switchco.com
Mon Jul 17 17:41:53 EDT 2000

Unfortunately this cannot be done as the MD5 key generated is a hash result and
may be generated by an infinite number of possible combinations (i.e. collisions
can occur). If what you proposed were possible then you would also be able to
extract out exactly what the contents of X was simply from the contents of the
MD5 key of A & B! That data simply does not exist here to be extracted. Talk
about the greatest form of data compression! :-) Such a key can only be treated
as a signature which is difficult (but not impossible) to forge.

    later,

        Ben Scherrey