[ale] How to fix a crashed disk with fsck or debugfs

Malcolm.Silberman at BassHotels.com Malcolm.Silberman at BassHotels.com
Wed Jul 12 10:56:12 EDT 2000

Can anyone help me get my scsi drive back up and running. I could always
re-install it, but it has all my Oracle and Aolserver configurations. Any
advice or anyone want to do some consulting...

Here is the problem, had a pwoer failure and fcsk reported errors. It got
the ide drives up and working but not the scsi. Here are the details;

I have a Linux box configured as follows;
hda is 7663MB Quantum bigfoot IDE (977cyl 255head 63 sec) solit into
- hda5 as /boot which is 438MB
- hda6 as / which is 7185MB

sda is 8746MB which is a IBM DNES 309170W SCSI (1115cyl 255head 63sec)
- sda6 is /m01 6087MB
- sda7 is /home 1655MB

Swap is 1004mb

Somehow I lost power and crashed the drives. Tried to run
fsck -A -V ; echo == $? ==
got ==8== which is defined as an OPERATOR ERROR

Then tried fsck -t ext2 -b 8193 /dev/sda6 and got
'bad magic number in super-block when trying to open /dev/sda6...superblock
does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem"

Tried superblocks at 16385 and 24577 same message...

Also tried dumbe2fs /dev/sda6 and got the same bad magic number stuff...

who want to save me the painful time of re-installing Oracle? :-(