[ale] Ethernet / DSL help...

Scott Nolde smnoldelinux at mediaone.net
Sat Jul 8 19:03:41 EDT 2000

da Black Baron wrote:

> I'm trying to get my linux box (this one) to talk to my windoze box.  I've
> never had any trouble doing this before, using the very same cards I've got
> installed in the respective boxes right now.  The only difference is, I've got
> an extra ethernet card for my ADSL connection.
>
> I've no problem connecting to the net through eth0, as should be obvious, but
> for some reason I can't get eth1 to talk to it's windoze counterpart.  All the
> windoze diagnostics (what there are of them) are go- so I'm assuming it's
> something I'm doing on the linux box..
>
> rc.inet1 simply sets eth0 to ip 0.0.0.0, and all the other values to something
> suitable for dynamic configuration via pppoe (which I load in rc.local), and
> here's the init values for eth1:
>
> #########################
> #Setup eth1
>
> # Edit these values to set up a static IP address:
> IPADDR="197.0.0.18"     # REPLACE with YOUR IP address!
> NETMASK="255.255.255.240"       # REPLACE with YOUR netmask!
> NETWORK="197.0.0.16"    # REPLACE with YOUR network address!
> BROADCAST="197.0.0.31"  # REPLACE with YOUR broadcast address, if you
>                         # have one. If not, leave blank and edit below.
> GATEWAY="197.0.0.17"    # REPLACE with YOUR gateway address!
>
> # To use DHCP instead of a static IP, set this value to "yes":
> DHCP="no"            # Use DHCP ("yes" or "no")
>
> # OK, time to set up the interface:
> if [ "$DHCP" = "yes" ]; then # use DHCP to set everything up:
>   echo "Attempting to configure eth0 by contacting a DHCP server..."
>   /sbin/dhcpcd
> elif [ ! "$IPADDR" = "127.0.0.1" ]; then # set up IP statically:
>   # Set up the ethernet card:
>   echo "Configuring eth1 as ${IPADDR}..."
>   /sbin/ifconfig eth1 ${IPADDR} broadcast ${BROADCAST} netmask ${NETMASK}
>
>   # If that didn't succeed, give the system administrator some hints:
>   if [ ! $? = 0 ]; then
>     cat << EOF
> Your ethernet card was not initialized properly.  Here are some reasons why this
> may have happened, and the solutions:
> 1. Your kernel does not contain support for your card.  Including all the
>    network drivers in a Linux kernel can make it too large to even boot, and
>    sometimes including extra drivers can cause system hangs.  To support your
>    ethernet, either edit /etc/rc.d/rc.modules to load the support at boottime,
>    or compile and install a kernel that contains support.
> 2. You don't have an ethernet card, in which case you should comment out this
>    section of /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.  (Unless you don't mind seeing this error...)
> EOF
>   fi
>
>   # Older kernel versions need this to set up the eth0 routing table:
>   KVERSION=`uname -r | cut -f 1,2 -d .`
>   if [ "$KVERSION" = "1.0" -o "$KVERSION" = "1.1" \
>    -o "$KVERSION" = "1.2" -o "$KVERSION" = "2.0" -o "$KVERSION" = "" ]; then
>     /sbin/route add -net ${NETWORK} netmask ${NETMASK} eth1
>   fi

> [...]

Do you have both NICs assigned to different subnets?  My eth0 is on a
24.31.x.y, yet my eth1 is 192.168.1.x subnet.

Do you have ipchains setup for forwarding?

- Scott
--
Never do Windows again with  |  Scott M. Nolde
Linux!  No streaks, haze or  |  smnoldelinux at mediaone.net
glaze!                       |
7:01pm up 19:17, 1 user, load average: 1.12, 1.13, 1.06