[ale] LILO laying low

Douglas Knudsen dtk at math.ufl.edu
Fri Jul 7 23:06:28 EDT 2000

...I know this is kind of old but have you looked at using LILO2??  I recently
moved to an 8.4 gig drive with Slack 7 and had the typical LILO problem. (I had
not encountered this before on my small HD)  I found LILO2 (exactly where I
can't recall).  Of course you have to have a running system to get it off the
net!  I put it on a floppy, rebooted from a boot floppy, mounted the necessary
mount, etc...then installed LILO2 and yeehaw...when I rebooted no problemo.
LILO2 can handle large drives.

On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, Ken N wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean by "eliminate lilo" I'm guessing that you have
> dual boot system and you can no longer boot to dos but can boot to linux
> via the boot disk? If that's the case you can boot to a dos disk and do
> fdsik /mbr that will get you booting to windows from the hard drive. As
> far as lilo I am not sure what's generating that error.
>
> Ken
>
> http://cleveland.lug.net/~rocket/
>
> The answer is simple if you grant that ironies are like submarines;
> dangerous only when submerged.
>

> On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, Courtney Thomas wrote:
>
> > Greetings !
> >
> > When I try to bootup, at the prompt I get LIL-.....
> > and no bootup.
> >
> > When attempting to use the rescue disk(s), I can mount /dev/hda2 OK, but
> > when I reconfigure lilo.conf and try to rerun "lilo", I get .....
> > 	don't know how to handle device 0x100
> >
> > How do I return /dev/hda to bootable status ?
> >
> > Can I eliminate lilo, for the time being, to reboot, and then
> > reimplement it's functionality ? If so, how ?
> >
> > Is this the best route to go ?
> >
> > Appreciatively,
> >
> > Courtney
> > --
Cheers!
Douglas Knudsen

"Nuclear war would really set back cable."
                -- Ted Turner

"Guns don't kill people, physics does!"
John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun      <--thanks giancarlo

Got Linux?  http://www.linuxmall.com