[ale] Distro Opinion

BHa at ixl.com BHa at ixl.com
Wed Jul 5 10:48:55 EDT 2000

(1)
Debian.  The release/stable and frozen versions are rock-solid:
performance and security-wise.
<SPAN
class=954163914-05072000>     The upgrade scheme
(dselect/apt-get) is much imrpoving compared to Red-Hat rpm,
IMHO!
<SPAN
class=954163914-05072000>
(2)
Slackware.  If you know what you are doing, nothing beats
Slackware!
<SPAN
class=954163914-05072000>
<SPAN
class=954163914-05072000>I recommend against Red-Hat, unless you monitor
their security list and get the updates <FONT color=#0000ff
face=Arial size=2>ASAP
when
it is announced.  Its advantages have been well-supported (albeit
commercially), easy to
setup
and to use.  Unless you are a beginner, need a lot of hand-holding,
and your server will
not be
exposed to the Internet, try it and its sibblings, including
Mandrake.  I still like
<SPAN
class=954163914-05072000>Slackware for beginner, since you will learn more about
Linux without the GUI/User-friendly
<SPAN
class=954163914-05072000>interface stuff.<FONT color=#0000ff
face=Arial size=2>  (My sys admin self is
showing now!)
<SPAN
class=954163914-05072000>
<SPAN
class=954163914-05072000>Bao

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Jeff Hubbs
  [mailto:jhubbs at telocity.com]Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2000 11:59
  PMTo: ale at ale.orgSubject: [ale] Distro
  OpinionI would like a Linux distribution for my new
  system - the one that will be my "main" system and I'd liek to hear opinions
  on what distribution you'd think I would have the most success with given its
  architecture and desired roles.
  It's an Athlon 700, based on an Asus K7V mobo with onboard sound that, at
  the time I got it at least, required the ALSA drivers to get the onboard sound
  (AC97) to work.  There are two ATA-66 IDE controllers on the mobo with a
  20GB disk on each.  I've got Ethernet, narrow SCSI-2, and 3Dfx Voodoo3
  3500 TV video cards (the version that has NTSC  video I/O).  I have
  my oen partition scheme worked out among the two drives that does make use of
  some software RAID, so I want the installation process to utilize the scheme I
  set up.
  This machine is going to be one of several behind a firewall attached to
  DSL.  In addition to being my primary "sit-at" system, it will also act
  as a Samba server for any and all Windows machines on the house LAN.  I
  will want to have FTP and NFS serving take place as well.
  I also want to get on a good path to be able to get the Voodoo3 3500 TV
  card supported someday for NTSC video I/O and also to get the onboard sound
  supported.
  I started out with Mandrake 7.0-2 on this machine, and I got real
  frustrated because there was a lot of stuff like Samba, wu-ftpd, and so on
  that appeared to be present but not functioning, and although I
  probably could have figured out how to eventually get all that stuff working,
  I would do so in fear of missing some sort of prerequisite and I had and still
  have plenty to figure out as it is!
  The machine is now running Red Hat 6.2, but it's a bit long in the tooth
  already and I'm interested in the ATA-66 and ReiserFS support I've read about
  in Mandrake 7.1.  I am most comfortable with Red Hat and its derivatives
  but I am open to suggestions.  I would be interested in a distro that has
  a good mechanism for regular updates that won't go around breaking stuff, and
  I would appreciate having really useful documentation.
  I generally download distros but I am open to suggestions regarding paying
  for tech support, whether by paying for a boxed distro or by buying support
  services separately.