[ale] TurboLinux

John R. Hall reeves at earthling.net
Sun Jan 2 14:34:46 EST 2000

Chris Fowler wrote:

> Has anyone here tested out TurboLinux 4.0?  What was your impression?

I tried it, and I thought it was good. I ran it on a laptop that was not entirely
cooperative, so the installation was not as smooth as it should have been.
TurboLinux is a very solid distribution though. It seems to follow the
"everything except the kitchen sink that'll fit on one CD" packaging philosophy,
which I like. I appreciate their console-based setup tools (as opposed to Red
Hat's reliance on X). I also appreciate their console-based installation program.
Red Hat's graphical setup, while perhaps more appealing to the market, is PURE
EVIL.

One small issue is that TurboLinux does not have the "redhat-release" RPM
package, which some other RPM's look for. I manually added this package, and
I hacked KDE's automatic installation scripts to override some of the dumb
assumptions. TL is indeed RPM-based, but it is not Red Hat at all.

I personally prefer Slackware (and more specifically, I grew weary of wrestling
with RPM), so I no longer run Red Hat or TL.

-Reeves