[ale] Comments sought on port scan

John Mills john at mills-atl.com
Mon Dec 11 22:48:59 EST 2000

Went back and ran netstat -ap as root, giving more info.

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Bob's ALE Mail wrote:

> > 111/tcp    open        sunrpc
> Turn this off or be cracked!
>
> > 941/tcp    open        unknown
> I don't know what this is.  DO 'netstat -ap' and to see the PID of the
> process having it open and then do "ps -axlww|grep PID" and analyze.
>
> > 6000/tcp   open        X11
> Definitely disable this by causing X to not listen on the TCP port!

tcp        0      0 *:6000                  *:*                     LISTEN
6619/X
tcp        0      0 *:941                   *:*                     LISTEN
338/rpc.statd
tcp        0      0 *:111                   *:*                     LISTEN
314/portmap

Now, where should I go to control these?

Thanks.

--
Regards -
 John Mills