[ale] Administrivia: restrict_post has been turned on

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 7 11:30:09 EST 2000

Fulton Green wrote:

> But before we can moderate, we need rules. Obviously, "Christian long-
> distance" is way off-topic, but what about job postings and such?

I personally like the idea of moderation of this sort (reviewing the
initial post from an unknown address). I'd like it a lot more if the
spam level was enough to bug me, which it isn't yet, but I do see a
trend :-(

Anyway, this suggestion is better IMO than just restricting the
list to subscribers, for exactly the reasons Fulton cites - we
don't want to put beginners off by rejecting their posts. I'd
be willing to be a moderator.

I think the policy should be as liberal as possible - reject
blatant spam, but accept anything that's even vaguely Linux-
or open-source related, including job-related posts and
adverts for software or other services of potential interest to
the group.

Is there any established procedure for collectively making decisions
like this about the list (similar to usenet CFV)?

-- Joe Knapka