[ale] TV in/out - Still not getting ALE mail...

James CE Johnson jcej at tragus.org
Wed Dec 6 08:56:14 EST 2000

hirsch at zapmedia.com wrote:

> Joseph A. Knapka writes:
>
>  > Anyway, some time ago someone on the list was
>  > talking about recording Babylon-5 in MPEG
>  > format. I'd like to do something similar -
>  > basically I want to build a TiVo-like system.
>  > I think I have a handle on getting the TV
>  > signal into my Linux box and doing the MPEG
>  > encode/decode, but I haven't been able to find
>  > any solid data on video cards with TV-out
>  > supported under Linux. Does anyone have any
>  > recommendations for that, or for this kind of
>  > thing in general?

Have you found a method for capturing and converting to MPEG yet?  I've been
trying for a long time and have had, shall we say, "imperfect" success...

Using a Hauupauge card I can capture to AVI.  (Anything over 15fps causes the
audio & video to get out of sync.)  The next step, apparently, is to break the
AVI into a file full of audio frames and another of video frames.  Those are in
MPEG format and then get glued back together into a single file.  The problem is
that they're never quite in sync when everything is done.

The tools I've been using (or investigating) are avi2yuv, mpeg2codec, mpegUtil,
mplex, ulib and vcdtools.  And, of  course, xawtv's record application to capture
an AVI in the first place.

If you get this thing working or you want someone to test things for you, by all
means let me know.

As for TV out, I haven't tried that yet.  My VooDoo 3 has an S-Video out but I've
never tried to jack it into the TV.

Later,