[ale] latest patches for Linux 6.2

Robert Hoffman rob at frankenlinux.com
Tue Dec 5 13:19:53 EST 2000

I'm keeping all of my servers on RedHat 6.2 until 7.1 comes out. I download the updates from a mirror. Here's the one I usually use:

ftp://ftp.valinux.com/pub/mirrors/redhat/redhat/updates/6.2/i386/

Note that RPM itself has been updated so you must update your version of RPM (included among the rest of the updates) before updating the rest of the packages. I just download all of the updates to one directory and then do the following:

rpm -Fvh rpm*.rpm
rpm -Fvh *.rpm

Sometimes, depending on the machine, a dependency may give you trouble. Just look for the dependency giving you trouble, resolve it, and try again. You may need to uninstall the old package manually (rpm -e pkgname) and install the newer one with rpm -Uvh pkgname.

If you run into a required file you don't have, you can always go to another machine that has the file and do a which filename and then find it's package with rpm -qf /path/filename.

-Rob Hoffman