[ale] kernel compile won't boot

Mike Kachline kachline at brightstar.gt.ed.net
Wed Aug 16 09:40:51 EDT 2000

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Wandered Inn wrote:

> My apologies, actually the last thing that's displayed is:
>
> boot:
<snip>

	Geoffrey,

	My hunch is that your "stuck" kernel was compiled for a different
CPU than what you've got (Ie, Athlon compile, PII box.). I base this on
the observation that, typically, the first thing that the kernel does once
it has uncompressed is to detect the CPU, as well as IO APICs (Which you
may want to try turning on/off also). I know that I've had this exact same
problem before, and I think I fixed it either with the CPU type, or the IO
APIC feature. If those don't work, I would also check that you've got the
right "chipset" built (Under "IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices") for your
box.

		Hope this helps,
				- Mike
Michael Kachline