[ale] Kernel Panic question

Joe Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 15 18:06:13 EDT 2000

Brian Dowd wrote:

> After backing up my system, wiping the disk, reinstalling RedHat 6.2 and
> then restoring everything from a backup (known good) tape I get a
> "kernel panic No init found Try passing init= option to kernel"
> I guess my tape restore is overwriting something important ;-)
> Any ideas on how to correct this? What is the 'init'? Is it the initrd
> in /etc/lilo.conf?
> When I use the rescue disk from the original install it tells me that
> the /boot/System.map has an incorrect kernel version.
> The hard disk is vmlinux-2.2.12-20. How do I figure out what version is
> on the rescue disk?

This means that the kernel could not find the executable it needs
to load in order to start the very first system process. Usually
that executable is /sbin/init, but you can override that on the
kernel command line. Looks like your restore is not restoring some
important stuff!

You could try copying /sbin/init from another RH6.2 machine, but
the fact that you aren't getting /sbin/init back off of your
tape seems to bode ill for the entire enterprise (I wonder
what else will be missing?).

-- Joe

--
*** Joseph Knapka ***
In any formula, constants (especially those obtained from handbooks)