[ale] Insolence of those asking for FREE help on public lists

Joe Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 9 18:05:19 EDT 2000

I agree with most of what you say below. The technical
problems with providing an easily-usable interface to that much
data are truly daunting, well into the "Expert system" zone,
and most likely poking a good way into "Natural language
understanding." It may not be "off the charts", but it's
a LOT of work, and the biggest problem is that until you
bootstrap enough intelligence to handle the cross-referencing
tasks *in an intelligent way*, some human being actually has
to do the work.

I have this problem with all existing WWW search engines: they
don't really understand what I'm looking for. Me and a guy on
another list were contemplating building some software that
would provide an NLP plugin for search and indexing engines
to do natural-language parsing and semantic representation,
in an effort to get better data back from web searches. I think
something like this would be necessary in order to automate the
construction of a truly useful documentation knowledge base. And
until we have that, human beings are the best question-answerers.

-- Joe