[ale] Linux on PalmPilot

Joe Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 9 17:57:22 EDT 2000

You're right, I really prefer a palmtop that crashes every hour or
so (due to virus infestation) :->

Same as the advantages on the desktop:

(1) Free
(2) High-quality (== stable)
(3) Non-M$ (== good, accessible support)
(4) Small (try booting Windows on a device with 2MB RAM)

The ucLinux port is (as far as I can tell) non-multi-tasking.
LinuxCE looks like a straight port of the Linux kernel to
processors typically used on palmtops. In any case, though,
multitasking is IMHO nearly always a good thing for devices
that interact with users on a regular basis. I mean, you'd
like to be able to edit your to-do list while your
palmtop takes care of sending off queued emails, right? And
you'd like to be able to continue to use your GUI while
your palmtop is downloading a file, right?

I just bought an HP Jornada 430se on eBay, specifically
with the intent of running Linux on it and seeing how
functional I can get it to be. Anyone else got one of
these beasts?

-- Joe