[ale] Re:

dj4aces dj4aces at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 23 23:06:40 EDT 1999

mikecale1 at juno.com wrote:

> I need a primer on installation and use of red hat linux or is there any
> easier version of linux to start with and learn?

Go with one of the following:
Red Hat 6.2 (I think it's 6.2 now..) - $39. Buy the standard edition.
Mandrake Linux 6.0 (in v6.1 now) - Can be found with MaximumLinux,
October edition.

Setup is more simpler then Winblows. If you don't know/understand, go
with the defaults. When it asks you if you want X to start at boot-up,
select "Yes." This will make things more simple for you when running it
initially.
In Mandrake, it uses KDE (K Desktop Environment), and has something
really easy to set up internet usage. It's called "kpppd" (I believe).
Anyway, you need to know the following.
1. Phone number to ISP
2. DNS address #1 (has options to add more, if you have more to add.)
3. Username and Password
4. does it use PAP (Password Auth. Protocol) or CHAP (Can't remember)?

DOS/Win Executable files will not work in Linux unless using a Windows
Emulator (WINE comes with Mandrake)

Winmodems will not work, nor will they ever work. PNP is not
reccommended for use, for the compatability is limited (at last I
heard).

--dj

PS: If I'm wrong on any of this, please feel free to correct me..

--
ICQ: 1372361
IRC: (1) datDereDj

-------dj4aces at bellsouth.net--------

"Marriage is an attempt to make something lasting out of an incident"
-- Einstein